Essential hoverboard safety tips
When they first appeared on the market, hoverboards got a reputation for being dangerous and while regulations have ensured that there are no longer issues with them, there remain some hoverboard safety concerns.
When you shop at Official Hoverboard, you can rest assured that you are buying models that have passed stringent safety checks, have not been subject to any safety issues and always do well in hoverboard safety reviews.
What should you look out for when buying a hoverboard? Check out our hoverboard safety tips:
- Certification - before buying a hoverboard, you should check that it has passed all safety standard tests. Hoverboards sold within the EU zone always come with a CE marking. This certifies the safety of a product and compliance with the European safety regulation. You should find it on the following - packaging, battery and charger. All Official Hoverboard hoverboards come with CE and UL safety certification by international and UK test centres. Avoid cheap hoverboards as they are unlikely to have passed safety tests and cold be dangerous.
- Battery - hoverboard fire safety is a concern for users and years ago, it was invariably the battery that caused issues. There were stories of hoverboards exploding, although this is a rare occurrence now. We always advise buying a hoverboard with a quality battery from a known brand such as Samsung. Faulty batteries are always those of an inferior quality and will not have a CE marking.
- Charger - it is always best to use the charger that came with the hoverboard. Check the charger label when you receive your hoverboard. If there are misspelt words, then it is an inferior product. The plug should bear the BS1363 mark and come with a fuse and there must be a CE marking on the charger. There should be a light on the charger that indicates when the hoverboard is fully charged. When charging the hoverboard, avoid doing so overnight or when the house is empty, just to be on the safe side. We sell replacement chargers at Official Hoverboard. Contact us if you'd like to speak to an expert.
- Packaging - the packaging for your hoverboard, should always include manufacturing details. if it is misspelt or the grammar is poor, then you have an inferior product (this won't be the case when you buy from Official Hoverboard). When you buy from a trusted retailer, you can be confident that you are purchasing a quality product that will be safe to use and ranks highly on hoverboard reviews safety.
- Safety helmets for hoverboards - we aways recommend wearing a safety helmet when you ride a hoverboard. Always wear shoes and consider elbow and knee pads. When buying a helmet, look for something that is impact resistant, a foam lining and breathability. Always make sure the helmet as been tested and certified to the latest European standard.
- Weight - there is a minimum weight of 20kg to ride a hoverboard safely and riders should not exceed 100kg.